Looking for a 100% plant-based, 100% comforting drink? Make this hot chocolate topped with plant-based marshmallows, featuring our barista oat beverage. 🤤
For the hot chocolate
2 1⁄4 teaspoon cocoa powder (preferably Cacao Barry "full flavor").
1⁄4 cup hot water
1⁄4 cup dark chocolate
3⁄4 cup Oatbox Barista Oat beverage
For the plant-based marshmallows
1 cup powdered sugar
1⁄2 cup cornstarch
1⁄2 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 teaspoons agar-agar powder
1 cup water
1 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
1 1⁄2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For the hot chocolate
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder.
3. Add the dark chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth.
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into a mug.
5. Froth the Barista Oat Beverage and pour over the chocolate mixture.
For vegan marshmallows
1. Sift together 1 cup powdered sugar and ½ cup cornstarch into a medium bowl.
2. Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and sift a generous amount of the confectioners' sugar mixture on all sides.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together ½ cup aquafaba and ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
4. In a large saucepan, mix 4 teaspoons agar-agar powder with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until dissolved.
5. Then add 1 ¼ cups light corn syrup, 1 ½ cups sugar, and boil until the temperature reaches 115°C on a thermometer (be patient, this step takes at least 10 minutes).
6. While whisking at medium speed, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the aquafaba mousse.
7. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and ¼ teaspoon salt.
8. Whisk on high speed until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
9. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared dish and smooth the top.
10. Leave to set for several hours or overnight.
11. Sprinkle more powdered sugar mixture over the top and turn out onto a cutting board.
12. Cut into desired shapes and coat with more icing sugar/cornstarch mixture.
- Store in an airtight container for a few weeks.
Alternatively, you can simply buy ready-made marshmallows ;)